Гипермаркет знаний>>Английский язык>>Английский язык 7 класс>> "Scott of the Antarctic"
Guess the meaning of the underlined words.
1. I like to read interviews with the stars.
2. Jane Brown is the best reporter on our newspaper.
3. The expedition to the north was very difficult. A lot of people died.
4. A pony is a very small horse.
1 In pairs. Role-play.
A: You are a reporter. You must interview Misha Inin. Ask him ten questions about his life, hobbies, friends and Russia.
B: You are Misha Inin. Answer the reporter's questions.
2 Write your interviews. Read them in the class and choose the best reporter.
3 Listen and read.
a role model — образец для подражания
a hero — герой
courage — храбрость
strength — сила
an explorer — путешественник (по неисследованным местам)
an inscription — надпись
a race — гонка
a route [ru:t] — маршрут
sledge — сани
a naval-officer морской офицер
4 Read the interview with Misha and answer the questions.
1. Why does Kate call him a hero?
2. What does Misha think about heroes?
3. Who is Misha's role model?
St David's Express
Everybody in St David's School wants to know more about Misha Inin. Today he has given our reporter Kate Bernard an interview.
Kate Bernard: Congratulations, Misha! That was a very good game!
Misha Inin: Thank you.
Kate Bernard: Today you are everybody's hero, but two days ago you had no friends, and the teachers gave you bad marks and detentions.
Misha Inin: Please, don't call me a hero! I was lucky, that's all. When life at school was difficult, I thought about real heroes and then my problems didn't look very important.
Kate Bernard: So who is a real hero for you?
Misha Inin: My role model is an Englishman, Robert Falcon Scott.
Kate Bernard: Please tell us about him. It will be very interesting for our readers.
5 Read the story and answer the questions.
6 Put the paragraphs in the right order and read the text.
1. Finally on 12 January Scott and his men got to the South Pole. There they saw a Norwegian flag; Amundsen had got there two weeks before.
The people in Scott's expedition died on their way back to the camp. Winter killed them.
They were not the first at the South Pole, but in the hearts of people all over the world they did a more important thing. They showed an example of courage, strength and love for their country.
There is a simple wooden cross in the Antarctic. People put it there in the memory of the brave Englishmen."..........," says the inscription on the cross.
2. On 1 November 1912 Scott and his expedition started to go to the Pole. The weather was very bad: it was cold and windy. Very quickly Scott understood that he had made a lot of mistakes. The sledges didn't work. The ponies couldn't walk in deep snow and soon died. Scott hadn't bought any dogs, and the men had to pull the sledges with their food and equipment. The team had never been to the Antarctic before, so they were not ready for all the difficulties. But they still didn't forget their dream. They wanted to be the first at the South Pole. Every day they walked and walked through the snow. The English expedition remembered Amundsen and didn't want to lose that race.
3. On 15 June 1910 the English ship "Terra Nova" left England and went to the Antarctic. On board the ship was an English naval- officer Robert Falcon Scott. He had a dream. He wanted to be the first at the South Pole. Scott had already been to the Antarctic and had prepared for everything. He had planned the route and chosen four strong brave men. Scott had bought all the equipment: warm clothes, food, electric sledges and Siberian ponies. Yes, he had thought of everything, but one thing worried Scott: another famous explorer Roald Amundsen from Norway, had also gone to the Antarctic. The race for the South Pole had begun.
7 Match the mottos with the translations.
1. Один за всех и все за одного
2. Бороться, искать, найти и не сдаваться
3. Через тернии к звездам
a) Per aspera ad astra (лат.)
b) All for one and one for all
c) To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
8 What do you think? Which of these mottos is on the cross in the Antarctic?
9 Listen and check all your answers.
10 Answer the questions.
1. When did Scott leave England?
2. Where did he go?
3. How many men went with him?
4. When did Scott start the expedition?
5. How long did it take Scott to get to the South Pole?
6. Who was the first man at the South Pole?
7. Whose flag did Scot see at the South Pole?
8. Did Scott come back?
11 Scott was leaving England on 1 5 June 1910. What mistakes had he already made? Write out the sentences from the text.
Model:He had chosen the wrong men. They had never been to the Antarctic before, so they were not ready for all the difficulties.
12 Imagine that you can talk to Robert Scott. Write advice for him. Use should or shouldn't and these words and expressions.
Model: You should find men who have already been to the Antarctic.
men who have been to the Antarctic, dogs, ponies, electric sledges, stronger men, food, equipment, to hurry, to buy, to take, to choose
К. И. Кауфман, М. Ю. Кауфман Английский язык: Счастливый английский.ру / Happy English.ru: Учебник англ. яз. для 7 кл. общеобраз. учрежд.— Обнинск: Титул, 2008.— 288 с: ил.
Календарно-тематическое планирование по обществознанию, задачи и ответы школьнику онлайн, курсы учителю по английскому языку скачать
задачи и упражнения
практикумы, тренинги, кейсы, квесты
риторические вопросы от учеников
аудио-, видеоклипы и мультимедиа
графики, таблицы, схемы
юмор, анекдоты, приколы, комиксы
притчи, поговорки, кроссворды, цитаты
фишки для любознательных
учебники основные и дополнительные
Совершенствование учебников и уроков
исправление ошибок в учебнике
обновление фрагмента в учебнике
элементы новаторства на уроке
замена устаревших знаний новыми
Только для учителей
календарный план на год
Если у вас есть исправления или предложения к данному уроку, напишите нам.
Если вы хотите увидеть другие корректировки и пожелания к урокам, смотрите здесь - Образовательный форум.